Community Development Alliance Scotland
Our communities have great potential capacities and assets to offer. But their ability to successfully make full use of these cannot be taken for granted. Action is needed to enable them to develop in response to challenges and to ensure social justice in the outcomes. That action is called community development. People are putting the values and skills involved into action in a wide range of places, dealing with many different issues, but usually with limited resources and finding support wherever they can. Our conference is a chance for people in government, in communities and elsewhere and in all sectors to come together and find their common ground.
- Martin Cawley, Chief Executive, Big Lottery Fund Scotland
- (invited) Kevin Stewart MSP, Minister for Local Government and Planning
The main purpose of the day will be the opportunity to learn from a wide range of groups and projects who are putting community development into practice. We will also be happy to display information about your experiences, and offer opportunities to tell others about them. You will hear from groups, and from the people who have worked with them, in a wide range of situations, including:
- Community action to improve health
- Community action to reduce poverty
- People making a community plan for their area
- Working together to develop a rural community
- Mutual help for people leaving prison
- Giving a voice to people involved in community care
- Participatory Budgeting with young people
Cost: £50, including light lunch and refreshments (Free to community groups with income of less than £50,000 per year, but booking is essential).