The SURF Awards offers an opportunity for regeneration projects of all sizes to demonstrate value to funders and partners, support team-building and develop a national profile. The 2016 SURF Awards are open to any regeneration project in Scotland that is currently in operation or has been completed within two years of the September 2016 closing date. Read more for application details.
Scotland’s Most Improved Town - Application Deadline 19 September
The Scottish Government’s 2013 Town Centre Action Plan was developed as a “stimulus to encourage and support action across the wider public, private and community sectors” with a view to addressing issues faced by Scotland’s towns. The Scottish Government, Scotland’s Towns Partnership, Architecture & Design Scotland, SURF and others are keen to support the ambitions of the Action Plan and the revitalisation of town centres as a mechanism to help tackle wider physical, social and economic challenges.
The Scotland’s Most Improved Town 2016 SURF Awards category will identify, celebrate and share the positive impacts of participative planning and regeneration processes in urban settlements of all sizes across Scotland.
Scale – There will be three winning projects in this category:
• Scotland’s Most Improved Small Town (population size below 5000)
• Scotland’s Most Improved Medium Town (population size between 5000-20,000)
• Scotland’s Most Improved Large Town (population size exceeding 20,000)
Criteria – Entries will be expected to demonstrate:
• Effective community engagement and participation;
• Improved economic opportunities and engagement with the private sector;
• Benefits for people living in the town and using the town centre;
PUTTING THE TOWN CENTRE FIRST:
• Use of proactive planning and the ‘Town Centre First’ principle, and improvement in access to public services and digital infrastructure;
PRIDE OF PLACE:
• Improvement in the town’s image, identity and ‘pride of place’.
A 2016 SURF Awards application form for the Scotland’s Most Improved Town category is available at the following link: www.scotregen.co.uk/surf-awards
The Scotland’s Most Improved Town SURF Awards category is delivered in partnership with Scotland’s Towns Partnership, with additional support from Architecture & Design Scotland.