Sustrans Scotland is calling on the next Scottish Government to prioritise funding and policy for active travel.
The active travel charity is asking political parties to include the following commitments in their manifestos.
These measures will allow more of Scotland to choose to walk, wheel or cycle, making our country a greener, healthier and more inclusive place to live.
1) Continue funding to enable walking, wheeling and cycling and deliver high quality infrastructure.
2) Help local authorities create towns and cities that put people first.
3) Link communities with a Scotland-wide active travel highway network.
4) Support safe ways to make healthier, cleaner commutes in cities and towns.
5) Make streets around our schools safer and healthier.
6) Support making cycling available to everyone.
Sustrans Scotland states that this manifesto will help to ensure a green and sustainable post-Covid recovery that is fair for all people in Scotland.
The six commitments will help to:
- tackle climate change
- improve health and wellbeing
- reduce inequalities
- stimulate inclusive economic growth.
Read the full manifesto and reaction on Sustrans Scotland's website here.