St Andrews is known worldwide as the Home of Golf mainly because of the Royal and Ancient Golf Club, founded in 1754 which exercises legislative authority over the game worldwide.
St Andrews is a town on the east coast of Fife in Scotland, named after Saint Andrew the Apostle. St Andrews is known worldwide as the Home of Golf mainly because of the Royal and Ancient Golf Club, founded in 1754 which exercises legislative authority over the game worldwide. The town is home to the University of St Andrews which is the oldest University in Scotland and also the third oldest university in the English-speaking world. St Andrews University was founded in 1410 and constitutes an integral part of the burgh, dominating the town. In fact St Andrews University has played a key role for the town’s increasing population and the attraction of new investments. Apart from these, St Andrews is also famous for its church and Cathedral. The legend says the bones of the Christian apostle St Andrew were brought here. St Andrews’ great Cathedral which was constructed in 1160 was the largest building in Scotland for seven centuries. The burgh soon became the ecclesiastical capital of Scotland and highly influential in Scottish political circles. Pilgrims were flocking in the town from all over Europe, and St Andrew became the patron saint of Scotland.
For more information about Scotland’s home of Golf visit the St. Andrews Links website and for more information about the town visit the St. Andrews website.
This photograph of St. Andrews is by Dun_Deagh on Flickr, used with thanks via its Creative Commons CC-BY-SA 2.0 license. We've applied a crop to this image.